יום חמישי, דצמבר 28, 2006

Doing Tracks in New Zealand...

As you all probably understood from our last post (did you notice that Izick participate in the writing also? It's about time) New Zealand is the homeland of the great walks.
If someone thinks of coming to New Zealand, he should think first if he can keep up with all the tracks here, and most of all carry a 10 kilo bag on his back. As the Kiwi's says in the brochures, first practice at home for about 1 month, carrying a 10 kilo bag and walk on uneven track and climbing for about 3 hours straight.

Well, as you can see, I passed the test. After returning from the Milford track we rested for one day only, and went on another track, the Kepler Track. A 63 Kilometer track. It took us 3 days to finish the track.
The first day was a 1.5 hour walk in the bush, like every track here, since the track starts at sea level the plantation is mostly trees. As you climb the plantation becomes shorter. After crossing the bush line we climb for about 3 hours and then we reached the most beautiful views. We saw Te Aneue lake from above and all the beautiful mountains were covered with snow. Not far from this point we got to the first Hut.

From Kepler Trek




From Kepler Trek



The next day started a little bit disappointment, since the weather didn't seem so good. However, if there is one thing I learned in New Zealand, don't let the weather dictate your day. So, me and Izick started our climb to the top, and as we walk the clouds become closer to us and at some point we were above them and then after 10 minutes, all the clouds were gone and we had the most beautiful day ever in New Zealand. The ranger told us later on the day that this was the most beautiful day in the Fiorland area and we couldn't ask for more beautiful day. And it really was.

From Kepler Trek



Most of the day, we walk along the alpine, on a very long ridge. At some point I had a little bit of a crises, since there was a snow on the track and the path to walk on was very narrow and we were just on the cliff. Fortunately enough Izick came to my rescue, and help me cross all those difficult walks. Izick told me to think of it as an adventure, since we got to walk on the snow, but at this point I don't see it like that.


From Kepler Trek


The alpine section was quite long and the views were amazing. After walking for about 7 hours we reached the way down. Now, I can tell you that I can do any climb you will tell me, but, please don't let me go down. The way down was so difficult and my feet were aching. There were 87 zigzags on the way down, believe me that after that you can't feel your knees.


From Kepler Trek



Finally after 10 hours walk I reached the Hut, not before Izick came to help me at the last 15 minutes of my walk.
The last day was quite easy, but when your feet hearts, even the easy walk doesn't seems so easy.


From Kepler Trek



When we return to the city it was Christmas eve. In our backpackers they didn't do anything spacial so after some dinner I just went to bed to rest. Izick, on the other hand celebrate to the night. Our hosts, Bob and maxine, brought some wine a sponge cake, and celebrate Christmas with izick and 2 girls from quebec (Canada).

Now after 4 days rest, we are ready to go on another track, The Ruteburn Track and the Grinstone track. We are doing the 2 together, since the track is not circular and we want to save money on transportation.
I relay hope I'll make it....

אין תגובות: